Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Discussion What are some Fusion 360 tips/tricks that you wish you knew sooner?
Hello! I thought this would be a good place to talk about Fusion360 tips and tricks that make life easier but might not be super obvious right away.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the proper forum/subforum/category for this but I'm new to Fusion360 and this would directly help me. So it's relevant in one way or another!

two tips/tricks I found super useful is:
1. You can pin icons to the top menu making frequently used functions easier to use.
2. When you clock on a specific part of your model it will show you in the timeline exactly when you last did something to that face/edge/point. Super useful for editing things after the fact.
On a Mac trackpad, you can use two fingers to pan. Hold down shift with two fingers allows you to rotate.
When exporting .stl files to print, instead of going the file -> save as or export route, if you right click on a body in your model and select save as STL you can change the resolution of the .stl file. This is especially important if you are exporting curved surfaces as they can look a bit blocky if you don't turn up the resolution a bit.

Also, when dimensioning sketches to get them constrained, try and link them in a way so you can change 1 number to modify a variable. For instance if you have a square drawn, select both lines and constrain them to be equal length and then just dimension one of them. That way when you go to update the model later to tweak it you don't get nasty suprises or have to change 50 different numbers. It's also good to reference dimensions in a way so that to change the overall height of something it will modify maybe a wall height instead of something else that will make it fit incorrectly... I have struck this in the past and it's frustrating to have printed it to realise when you changed the dimension it moved in a different spot to where you wanted...
(05-13-2020, 11:05 PM)daveefordays Wrote: When exporting .stl files to print, instead of going the file -> save as or export route, if you right click on a body in your model and select save as STL you can change the resolution of the .stl file. This is especially important if you are exporting curved surfaces as they can look a bit blocky if you don't turn up the resolution a bit.

Also, when dimensioning sketches to get them constrained, try and link them in a way so you can change 1 number to modify a variable. For instance if you have a square drawn, select both lines and constrain them to be equal length and then just dimension one of them. That way when you go to update the model later to tweak it you don't get nasty suprises or have to change 50 different numbers. It's also good to reference dimensions in a way so that to change the overall height of something it will modify maybe a wall height instead of something else that will make it fit incorrectly... I have struck this in the past and it's frustrating to have printed it to realise when you changed the dimension it moved in a different spot to where you wanted...

How long have you been designing in fusion?
(05-02-2021, 02:54 AM)luispequeno Wrote: How long have you been designing in fusion?

I have been doing 3D CAD design for about 8 years now, i've only used fusion a few times because it's entry level software.

I use solidworks as it is industry standard and I use it for my job as a Professional Mechanical Engineer. I also use Siemens NX10.0 a lot, but it is far out of reach of consumers.......

You can get yourself a maker version of solidworks, just use this tutorial

https://into3dp.com/Thread-Use-Solidwork...l-use-only

Cheers,
Dave Behrens