Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Drying Filament and Storage
Hi all, 

So I have a question about filament storage and usage.

I know that PLA needs to be dry and that is soaks up himuduty in the air over time

Would a food dehumidifier/dehydrator (300W) be suitable to dry out my filament? I goes between 60*C - 110*C.

And follow-up question - will I need to store my filament in an air tight sealed container?

Cheers, 
Scopio.
(10-24-2021, 11:02 PM)scopio90 Wrote: Hi all, 

So I have a question about filament storage and usage.

I know that PLA needs to be dry and that is soaks up himuduty in the air over time

Would a food dehumidifier/dehydrator (300W) be suitable to dry out my filament? I goes between 60*C - 110*C.

And follow-up question - will I need to store my filament in an air tight sealed container?

Cheers, 
Scopio.

Hi Scopio,

A cylindrical food dehydrator is a good option, but you need to modify it height wise by either spacing rows apart or cutting out the bottom of some layers to be able to fit filament rolls in there. Also for PLA you want to dehydrate it at about 45-50C.

You should store the filament in an airtight enclosure with a bunch of silica Gel, you can recharge the silica gel periodically in the food dehydrator. I prefer just vacuum bagging filament with a silica gel, because the less air the filament has access to, the less air needs to be dry.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Drying filament luispequeno 4 502 10-25-2021, 09:55 PM
Last Post: scopio90
  Filament cleaner daveefordays 8 1,009 09-16-2020, 11:28 PM
Last Post: daveefordays