Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Filament Unprintable
Do you have a filament brand you can't print not matter what you tried?

For me, it is 3D Warhorse PLA Plus. It was the first filament I bought for my printer. I thought I was going crazy trying to get the perfect first layer to stick. To this day, not matter the settings, I can't make it work.

It has been almost a year, and I wanted to revisit the filament. I tried to see what others people has used for the settings, but it seems this company has pretty much disappeared entirely. What do you do with two spools of filament? Decorate the Christmas tree?
(12-09-2020, 04:36 AM)voodoo614 Wrote: Do you have a filament brand you can't print not matter what you tried?

For me, it is 3D Warhorse PLA Plus. It was the first filament I bought for my printer. I thought I was going crazy trying to get the perfect first layer to stick. To this day, not matter the settings, I can't make it work.

It has been almost a year, and I wanted to revisit the filament. I tried to see what others people has used for the settings, but it seems this company has pretty much disappeared entirely. What do you do with two spools of filament? Decorate the Christmas tree?

I have a roll of sunlu pla that I inherited with a printer i purchased second hand, it's weird, the transparent PLA that's exactly the same prints perfectly and is one of my favourite filaments... but the light blue... woah. The stuff is like printing foam, I printed some parts and they looked actually alright but I could crush them in my hand, it's like something was broken in the material structure. Then I exchanged it for some ESun PLA+ (my go to for local sourced filly) and the print came out perfect and was nice and strong, same machine, same gcode.

I have tried that filament again after drying and its exactly the same... Maybe a bad batch or maybe this is what happens when PLA stays out of a box for over 2 years on the spool? Who will know.

I have often thought about melting it into some sort of sand mould in the oven though... I think that'd be fun?
(12-09-2020, 12:13 PM)daveefordays Wrote: I have a roll of sunlu pla that I inherited with a printer i purchased second hand, it's weird, the transparent PLA that's exactly the same prints perfectly and is one of my favourite filaments... but the light blue... woah. The stuff is like printing foam, I printed some parts and they looked actually alright but I could crush them in my hand, it's like something was broken in the material structure. Then I exchanged it for some ESun PLA+ (my go to for local sourced filly) and the print came out perfect and was nice and strong, same machine, same gcode.

I have tried that filament again after drying and its exactly the same... Maybe a bad batch or maybe this is what happens when PLA stays out of a box for over 2 years on the spool? Who will know.

I have often thought about melting it into some sort of sand mould in the oven though... I think that'd be fun?

I love the transparent Sunlu PLA! I just recently discovered it. Esun PLA+ has also become my go to, since they've gotten more of a presence on Amazon.

I like Sunlu, I'd say over 50% of my filament is Sunlu filament actually, they were my go to before Esun and before that I used Superfila PLA.

A filament that I couldn't ever get to print right is probably the filament that came with my Tenlog Hands 2 3D printer, it's trash filament, didn't really bother with it much, it's weak, brittle and my printer did not agree with it either, so I trashed it after a few prints since I didn't really want to fiddle with something I'd probably never want to buy again and didn't want to have to unclog my nozzle.
(12-24-2020, 06:06 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I love the transparent Sunlu PLA! I just recently discovered it. Esun PLA+ has also become my go to, since they've gotten more of a presence on Amazon.

I like Sunlu, I'd say over 50% of my filament is Sunlu filament actually, they were my go to before Esun and before that I used Superfila PLA.

A filament that I couldn't ever get to print right is probably the filament that came with my Tenlog Hands 2 3D printer, it's trash filament, didn't really bother with it much, it's weak, brittle and my printer did not agree with it either, so I trashed it after a few prints since I didn't really want to fiddle with something I'd probably never want to buy again and didn't want to have to unclog my nozzle.

interesting to hear you like the transparent sunlu filament too.

A quick interesting fact, natural coloured filaments (transparent for PLA, creamy white for ABS, etc) are actually notably stronger than the coloured variants. This is because the pigment makes the material less pure and takes away from its strength.

I had the same problem with the included tenlog filament after a while, but when i first printed with it it was great.