Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Got some money to spend, looking for unique Printers/Filaments
So I just got a small amount of money to spend and I'm currently on the look out for something interesting to spend it on. Whether that be some unique (non-toxic) 3D Printer filaments or some unique 3D printers.

So I figured I'd open this up for discussion so I can get some suggestions about some cool stuff you've seen in the wild.

I'm kinda particular when it comes to the 3D printer part of this discussion, I have a very limited space for 3D printers and currently have a Monoprice Select Mini V2 and a Tenlog Hands 2 3D printer and I can't seem to find a printer which I think would serve a purpose that these 2 machines can't.

The Tenlog Hands 2 can print with most all materials and can do dual-color/multi-material printing and has a fairly big print surface (220x220x250 I think) and my mini is already calibrated well so works good if I need to do quick prototyping, where as I still have some work to do before my hands 2 is calibrated the way I'd like it to be.

I'm not opposed to the idea of getting another printer it'd just have to be something unique that would give me a reason to get another, I probably would've stuck with the Mini forever if dual-color/multi-material printing wasn't a thing.

But I'm mostly on the look out for brands/materials of filament that are different/unique for one reason or another. I love finding new 3D printer filaments with interesting properties and what not and I finally have a printer capable of actually handling most of them.

So suggest away! If you've seen any cool unique (non-resin) 3D Printers or some unique filaments with interesting properties I'm looking to give them a try!

looking forward to seeing your suggestions.
(04-15-2020, 01:10 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: So I just got a small amount of money to spend and I'm currently on the look out for something interesting to spend it on. Whether that be some unique (non-toxic) 3D Printer filaments or some unique 3D printers.

So I figured I'd open this up for discussion so I can get some suggestions about some cool stuff you've seen in the wild.

I'm kinda particular when it comes to the 3D printer part of this discussion, I have a very limited space for 3D printers and currently have a Monoprice Select Mini V2 and a Tenlog Hands 2 3D printer and I can't seem to find a printer which I think would serve a purpose that these 2 machines can't.

The Tenlog Hands 2 can print with most all materials and can do dual-color/multi-material printing and has a fairly big print surface (220x220x250 I think) and my mini is already calibrated well so works good if I need to do quick prototyping, where as I still have some work to do before my hands 2 is calibrated the way I'd like it to be.

I'm not opposed to the idea of getting another printer it'd just have to be something unique that would give me a reason to get another, I probably would've stuck with the Mini forever if dual-color/multi-material printing wasn't a thing.

But I'm mostly on the look out for brands/materials of filament that are different/unique for one reason or another. I love finding new 3D printer filaments with interesting properties and what not and I finally have a printer capable of actually handling most of them.

So suggest away! If you've seen any cool unique (non-resin) 3D Printers or some unique filaments with interesting properties I'm looking to give them a try!

looking forward to seeing your suggestions.

Have you tried any colour changing or silk filaments?
I'm keen to try a colour changing one, they are basically a colour gradient in the filament, so as you print the colour gradually changes and you get a rainbow print!! Silk filaments are not quite as forgiving though, but it's worth it for the nice finish I think.
(04-15-2020, 01:16 AM)daveefordays Wrote: Have you tried any colour changing or silk filaments?
I'm keen to try a colour changing one, they are basically a colour gradient in the filament, so as you print the colour gradually changes and you get a rainbow print!! Silk filaments are not quite as forgiving though, but it's worth it for the nice finish I think.

The Color changing filaments don't look that good in my humble opinion, I far prefer silk and I'm planning on getting some silk PLA, causue I like the way it looks, but was really looking to see if there's any strange/unique/exotic materials out there, like I remember Rigid Ink (R.I.P) sold a lot of cool things like that such as "FlexPLA" which I haven't been able to find since, basically it was just PLA, but it had some flex to it. It combined ease of PLA printing with flexible properties, though not as flexible as TPU of course.

Makerbox is something I'm going to be subscribing too aswell, they give a lot of cool samples of filaments every month! the plan I'm going to get it going to be 4 PLA + 4 Other materials for like $30/mo, I think that'll be a good way to expand my filament portfolio a little.

the site is Makerbox.me if your interested.
Since there's no rules I'm not going to link to it as I'm unsure how linking to off-site content is viewed.

As for printers I've had my eye on the Geeetech A10M/A10T Dual/Tri "Mix" color printers respectively, but I hear they're a pain to manage and I'm not sure the color mixing feature is worth the price/hassle.
(04-15-2020, 01:27 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: The Color changing filaments don't look that good in my humble opinion, I far prefer silk and I'm planning on getting some silk PLA, causue I like the way it looks, but was really looking to see if there's any strange/unique/exotic materials out there, like I remember Rigid Ink (R.I.P) sold a lot of cool things like that such as "FlexPLA" which I haven't been able to find since, basically it was just PLA, but it had some flex to it. It combined ease of PLA printing with flexible properties, though not as flexible as TPU of course.

Makerbox is something I'm going to be subscribing too aswell, they give a lot of cool samples of filaments every month! the plan I'm going to get it going to be 4 PLA + 4 Other materials for like $30/mo, I think that'll be a good way to expand my filament portfolio a little.

the site is Makerbox.me if your interested.
Since there's no rules I'm not going to link to it as I'm unsure how linking to off-site content is viewed.

As for printers I've had my eye on the Geeetech A10M/A10T Dual/Tri "Mix" color printers respectively, but I hear they're a pain to manage and I'm not sure the color mixing feature is worth the price/hassle.

Not sure if you've tried PETG, but it is similar to flex pla, it prints easy and is an all around good filament and it isn't so rigid like PLA and has a bit more give/flex.

Fair enough about the colour changing, I think they are not good for general use but might be cool for a certain print, maybe a vase or something.

ooooh, how big are the samples? I'd love to get this but i do have the issue of being in Australia, which makes a lot of these 'boxes' unrealistically expensive due to shipping. I will reach out to makerbox and ask if they would like me to feature each months box on the forum.

Posting links is fine mate, no problem there. If you do something outside of the rules in my mind I won't punish you, its not fair to do so until I have clear rules on the forum.

I have seen the Geeetech tri colour print heads and they look cool how they mix filament, but I do worry that having 3 filaments hot in the hotend all the time could cause troubles, especially when heat soak is already an issue with 1 filament. I might get one of these as my next printer actually. I think the Hands 2 takes multicolour a smart way, but we will both need to print a few things to make it perfect, I have been looking at printing a purge and wipe box to mount under each extruder so that the leaked filament can be wiped off before switching to that extruder.
(04-15-2020, 01:59 AM)daveefordays Wrote: Not sure if you've tried PETG, but it is similar to flex pla, it prints easy and is an all around good filament and it isn't so rigid like PLA and has a bit more give/flex.

Fair enough about the colour changing, I think they are not good for general use but might be cool for a certain print, maybe a vase or something.

ooooh, how big are the samples? I'd love to get this but i do have the issue of being in Australia, which makes a lot of these 'boxes' unrealistically expensive due to shipping. I will reach out to makerbox and ask if they would like me to feature each months box on the forum.

Posting links is fine mate, no problem there. If you do something outside of the rules in my mind I won't punish you, its not fair to do so until I have clear rules on the forum.

I have seen the Geeetech tri colour print heads and they look cool how they mix filament, but I do worry that having 3 filaments hot in the hotend all the time could cause troubles, especially when heat soak is already an issue with 1 filament. I might get one of these as my next printer actually. I think the Hands 2 takes multicolour a smart way, but we will both need to print a few things to make it perfect, I have been looking at printing a purge and wipe box to mount under each extruder so that the leaked filament can be wiped off before switching to that extruder.

I do want to get PETG, never bought a spool cause I never had a printer capable, Select Mini can "technically" do PETG, but most advise against it.
FlexPLA was more flexible than PETG though, PETG just has some give where as flexPLA actually could be flexed by design, I'd say it was the in between of PETG and TPU.

"Each sample is roughly 16.5 meters in length." They also have a "bimonthly" plan for international buyers so they basically ship the box for that month and the previous to cut costs on shipping, which is more expensive to international purchasers. They say shipping between $9 to $20 depending on location. but for US it's like $2.
They have a wonderful FAQ page which can answer most common questions that you might have.

I'll gladly feature all the non-toxic filament in my boxes on this forum

My Hands 2 Secondary nozzle's adjust mechanism doesn't work fully. The little spring inside is too snug so it wont decompress when the nut is loosened, so I need to disassemble if I over tighten and jiggle it a little to get it to decompress, still haven't gotten it leveled with the other nozzle.

Another issue is I broke a few of the blades off the second nozzle's fan trying to adjust it while it was running (accidentally put the wrench in fan slot) so now it makes this loud rattling noise, which I'm not sure if it's due to the fan breaking or not, because I didn't get hardly any time to play with it before I did that. I'm getting a new 24V fan just in case, but if it keeps up I'll need to print some sort of TPU cozy to go over top half of the metal housing, as well as other portions of the machine to make it stop with this rattling, it's still functional, just very annoying and I could see it causing issues with printing due to vibrations. First nozzle is fine though.

Still really enjoy the printer even though I haven't gotten many actual prints out of it, it's a project that keeps me occupied and is helping me learn a lot more about printers in general. I'll probably make my own review once I have it in a state I'm happy with, included with a tutorial on disassembly (which is very easy) in case others have a similar issue to me with the nozzle leveling mechanism.

Main issue I've heard with the Geeetech Multi Color printers is nozzle clogging, I hear that can be overcome by using a metal extruder instead as the plastic one wears out over time due to the amount of retractions needed for that type of printing.

I'd absolutely love to see you cover one of these Geeetech printers, there's not nearly enough reviews of them in my humble opinion, though still far more reviewed than the Tenlog printers.
(04-15-2020, 02:19 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I do want to get PETG, never bought a spool cause I never had a printer capable, Select Mini can "technically" do PETG, but most advise against it.
FlexPLA was more flexible than PETG though, PETG just has some give where as flexPLA actually could be flexed by design, I'd say it was the in between of PETG and TPU.

"Each sample is roughly 16.5 meters in length." They also have a "bimonthly" plan for international buyers so they basically ship the box for that month and the previous to cut costs on shipping, which is more expensive to international purchasers. They say shipping between $9 to $20 depending on location. but for US it's like $2.
They have a wonderful FAQ page which can answer most common questions that you might have.

I'll gladly feature all the non-toxic filament in my boxes on this forum

My Hands 2 Secondary nozzle's adjust mechanism doesn't work fully. The little spring inside is too snug so it wont decompress when the nut is loosened, so I need to disassemble if I over tighten and jiggle it a little to get it to decompress, still haven't gotten it leveled with the other nozzle.

Another issue is I broke a few of the blades off the second nozzle's fan trying to adjust it while it was running (accidentally put the wrench in fan slot) so now it makes this loud rattling noise, which I'm not sure if it's due to the fan breaking or not, because I didn't get hardly any time to play with it before I did that. I'm getting a new 24V fan just in case, but if it keeps up I'll need to print some sort of TPU cozy to go over top half of the metal housing, as well as other portions of the machine to make it stop with this rattling, it's still functional, just very annoying and I could see it causing issues with printing due to vibrations. First nozzle is fine though.

Still really enjoy the printer even though I haven't gotten many actual prints out of it, it's a project that keeps me occupied and is helping me learn a lot more about printers in general. I'll probably make my own review once I have it in a state I'm happy with, included with a tutorial on disassembly (which is very easy) in case others have a similar issue to me with the nozzle leveling mechanism.

Main issue I've heard with the Geeetech Multi Color printers is nozzle clogging, I hear that can be overcome by using a metal extruder instead as the plastic one wears out over time due to the amount of retractions needed for that type of printing.

I'd absolutely love to see you cover one of these Geeetech printers, there's not nearly enough reviews of them in my humble opinion, though still far more reviewed than the Tenlog printers.

Okay, so give PETG a go. I'm sorry you've had this bad experience with the Hands 2 so far, hopefully it enables you to better learn about the printer. I accidentally broke one of the fan ducts on this printer and printed another one but that was nice and easy. You do have to be careful with these fans though as they break easy.

Hmmmm, what do you think about this one? https://www.banggood.com/Geeetech-A20T-M...379201608N
(04-15-2020, 03:17 AM)daveefordays Wrote: Okay, so give PETG a go. I'm sorry you've had this bad experience with the Hands 2 so far, hopefully it enables you to better learn about the printer. I accidentally broke one of the fan ducts on this printer and printed another one but that was nice and easy. You do have to be careful with these fans though as they break easy.

Hmmmm, what do you think about this one? https://www.banggood.com/Geeetech-A20T-M...379201608N

I'll absolutely be giving PETG a go while I look for more fun exotic material types to fiddle with, which my new Makerbox subscription should help with.

I wouldn't call it a bad experience at all, I actually enjoy working out the kinks, gives me something to do and make the end result more satisfying.

I wouldn't recommend the A20 variants, you're spending $100 extra for an all in one enclosure, the A10 has a wire connecting the two sides of the enclosure, but it's easy to 3D print a fix for that. The upgrades you get for the extra $100 are mostly things you can print yourself for far cheaper than that.

If you have $100 just burning a hole in your pocket than you can go with the A20 variants, but personally I think the A10 in a more compelling value.

Here's a link to the A10T also on Banggood.

This is the Metal Extruder Upgrade I was told significantly helps with nozzle clogging.

Will you be doing a review of it on this site and will you be moving/copying your other reviews over here too?
(04-15-2020, 03:36 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I'll absolutely be giving PETG a go while I look for more fun exotic material types to fiddle with, which my new Makerbox subscription should help with.

I wouldn't call it a bad experience at all, I actually enjoy working out the kinks, gives me something to do and make the end result more satisfying.

I wouldn't recommend the A20 variants, you're spending $100 extra for an all in one enclosure, the A10 has a wire connecting the two sides of the enclosure, but it's easy to 3D print a fix for that. The upgrades you get for the extra $100 are mostly things you can print yourself for far cheaper than that.

If you have $100 just burning a hole in your pocket than you can go with the A20 variants, but personally I think the A10 in a more compelling value.

This is the Metal Extruder Upgrade I was told significantly helps with nozzle clogging.

Thanks for the tip, I have asked banggood to send the A20, if they say it's too expensive I'll ask for the A10.

I would get a different aluminium extruder to that one as that one won't handle flexible filaments well since it doesnt have areas to keep the filament restricted. Something like this would be a better option https://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-Alumin...379201608N
(04-15-2020, 03:42 AM)daveefordays Wrote: Thanks for the tip, I have asked banggood to send the A20, if they say it's too expensive I'll ask for the A10.

I would get a different aluminium extruder to that one as that one won't handle flexible filaments well since it doesnt have areas to keep the filament restricted. Something like this would be a better option https://www.banggood.com/Upgraded-Alumin...379201608N

I look forward to your A20/A10 T review! Let me know how RGB mix color printing works.

Theoretically being able to mix 3 colors would allow you to print the entire RGB color spectrum with just 3 filament spools Red, Green, Blue (not counting different variations of lightness) so I'd really like to know if that works out for you.
(04-15-2020, 03:47 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I look forward to your A20/A10 T review! Let me know how RGB mix color printing works.

Theoretically being able to mix 3 colors would allow you to print the entire RGB color spectrum with just 3 filament spools Red, Green, Blue (not counting different variations of lightness) so I'd really like to know if that works out for you.

Thanks! Yeah it would be very cool, time will tell I guess Big Grin. I was wondering if you could mix materials too. Imagine a TPU and PETG mix for a median plastic? Or maybe it would react and die? But hey would be cool experimenting.

See what they say first. I know things are backing off so they might not support another review right now. Especially since I havent finished the LD-002r review due to no resin supply available...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Discussion Roundup of all the printers I own so far daveefordays 29 1,781 08-20-2020, 09:50 PM
Last Post: daveefordays