Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help How to keep PVA in good condition
Hello everyone! I am a relative beginner to 3D Printing. I just got a FlashForge Creator Max, and a few different filaments. Everything material i've thrown at it been working out so far, including PLA, TPU, ABS, and PETG. I looked online and I saw that each one of these materials is sensitive to moisture, yet I've had success. When I tried printing PLA with PVA supports, the PVA would not stick to the bed and I would hear bubbles popping and it came out unevenly out of the extruder. Does anyone know how to keep materials sensitive to moisture in a safe place where they will not absorb any water?
[-] The following 1 user Likes tonythedrony's post:
  • daveefordays
(08-05-2020, 07:28 PM)tonythedrony Wrote: Hello everyone! I am a relative beginner to 3D Printing. I just got a FlashForge Creator Max, and a few different filaments. Everything material i've thrown at it been working out so far, including PLA, TPU, ABS, and PETG. I looked online and I saw that each one of these materials is sensitive to moisture, yet I've had success. When I tried printing PLA with PVA supports, the PVA would not stick to the bed and I would hear bubbles popping and it came out unevenly out of the extruder. Does anyone know how to keep materials sensitive to moisture in a safe place where they will not absorb any water?

How long have you had it out?

Probably the easiest is to get a vacuum sealer and re-seal the filament each time after you use it, with a new or replenished silica gel. The problem with this is PVA will still get too much water after you use it a few times.

I've made a spool rack inside of a 50L storage tub that holds about 16kg of filament, and I get the supermarket brand kitty litter that is 100% silica gel and spread it out around the bottom of the container. I have a 80mm computer fan mounted inside to circulate the air and the humidity inside the box generally stays below 15% and my filament lasts a LOT longer. I have to replenish the silica gel every 5-10 opens though, so I thought about making lines to feed filament straight from the box but havent got there yet.

Still my filament gets wet over time, so I have some cheap ebay food dehydrators, run the filament in them at 50C for about 5 hours and it's good for another few days. If you want I can get some pictures or even make a video going over my process of keeping filament dry.

edit: I believe @SnowLeopardFPV vacuum seals if he wants to give his 2cents?
I left it out for about a day and a half. The tub idea is a great one, I might try it. Thanks for the help!
(08-05-2020, 10:16 PM)tonythedrony Wrote: I left it out for about a day and a half. The tub idea is a great one, I might try it. Thanks for the help!

I made a 3D printed bracket that mounts off of the container side and can hold a piece of PVC pipe and is able to spread the load and not break the container with 8kg of filament on it.

Happy to share the bracket .stl's when I get home if you'd like
Sure! I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
(08-05-2020, 11:09 PM)tonythedrony Wrote: Sure! I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Hi Tony,

Here are some pictures of my Dry box setup, I found a box that had a good seal so I didn't have to worry about air leaking in and out, and the 3D printed mounts have a big pin in the middle to hold the weight of the rolls and transfer it to the box without having to worry about the box cracking.

The box is also about 2mm thick plastic, so quite stiff.

[Image: CZFg4QLl.jpg]
[Image: yS6IEELl.jpg]
[Image: M1lFnUVl.jpg]
[Image: LXSzaz8l.jpg]

Here are the 3D Models for the printed parts.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

Let me know how you go with it Smile

Cheers,
Dave
I don't have space for a plastic "dry box" so I put my spools in zip-lock storage bags that can be vacuum sealed with a pump. The 12" x 13" (30cm x 34cm) ones are just big enough to fit a standard 1kg spool into. I also put a pack of silica gel (desiccant) into the bag before I zip-lock and vacuum seal it. I then just stack the vacuum packed spools in the corner of the room. It's not very pretty way of storing them but it does the job and they don't take up too much space that way. I only remove a spool from its vacuum sealed bag for the duration of a print and when the print is done the spool goes straight back in the bag with silica gel and gets vacuum sealed again. So far I've not had an issue with moisture in my filament while storing them like this.

Vacuum Bags: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z3X1SR
Battery Powered Vacuum Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXSDDYL
(08-06-2020, 11:07 PM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: I don't have space for a plastic "dry box" so I put my spools in zip-lock storage bags that can be vacuum sealed with a pump. The 12" x 13" (30cm x 34cm) ones are just big enough to fit a standard 1kg spool into. I also put a pack of silica gel (desiccant) into the bag before I zip-lock and vacuum seal it. I then just stack the vacuum packed spools in the corner of the room. It's not very pretty way of storing them but it does the job and they don't take up too much space that way. I only remove a spool from its vacuum sealed bag for the duration of a print and when the print is done the spool goes straight back in the bag with silica gel and gets vacuum sealed again. So far I've not had an issue with moisture in my filament while storing them like this.

Vacuum Bags: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085Z3X1SR
Battery Powered Vacuum Pump: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XXSDDYL

Oooooh I've never seen those vacuum bags before, I might get some to try!!
(08-07-2020, 12:29 AM)daveefordays Wrote: Oooooh I've never seen those vacuum bags before, I might get some to try!!

Just one thing to be aware of. Make sure the end of the filament is either well tucked away or taped to the spool so the sharp end isn't exposed. The bags can get really tight under vacuum pressure and I've managed to puncture a few by being careless with the end of the filament.
(08-07-2020, 12:34 AM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: Just one thing to be aware of. Make sure the end of the filament is either well tucked away or taped to the spool so the sharp end isn't exposed. The bags can get really tight under vacuum pressure and I've managed to puncture a few by being careless with the end of the filament.

Ahhhhh good tip!

Could maybe use one of those 3D printed filament end holders that clips onto the spool?

Edit: one of these https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:42528