Time to try and get my TPU prints a bit better Smile

Settings I am using in Cura 4.7.1

Nozzle Temp: 220C
Bed Temp: 60C
Print Speed: 35mm/s
Retraction Distance: 7mm
Retract at layer change: ✔️
Z-hop when retracted: ✔️

Have have seen these setting in another post here but I can't find these in Cura

Retraction speed: 40-50mm/s
Z-hop Distance: 0.2mm

Also my TPU prints are very squishy. I use infill density at 30 and infill pattern cubic. Should I change this a bit as well?

How things are turning out.

All help is much appreciated.
(11-05-2020, 10:25 PM)UrbanJungle1966 Wrote: Time to try and get my TPU prints a bit better Smile

Settings I am using in Cura 4.7.1

Nozzle Temp: 220C
Bed Temp: 60C
Print Speed: 35mm/s
Retraction Distance: 7mm
Retract at layer change: ✔️
Z-hop when retracted: ✔️

Have have seen these setting in another post here but I can't find these in Cura

Retraction speed: 40-50mm/s
Z-hop Distance: 0.2mm

Also my TPU prints are very squishy. I use infill density at 30 and infill pattern cubic. Should I change this a bit as well?

How things are turning out.

All help is much appreciated.

Hey urban,

Are you drying your TPU at all? And what brand TPU are you using? Those prints look bubbly, like the TPU is waterlogged.

Firstly, I generally try to print TPU parts solid unless you absolutely need them hollow, TPU doesn't give a nice finish with infill normally, and it's normally too soft without being solid.

Retraction speed and zhop distance wont help too much with what you have there anyways, but you should be able to search for them within cura settings.

I wouldn't say that is a horrible TPU print though, invest in a $5 small hobby knife set and use it to trim off the strings, or the sidecutters that come with the printer.

When I got my ender 3 Dialled with a freshly dried roll of SainSmart TPU95A this is the results I was getting with no cleanup. I could send you the GCode to try maybe if you want?
[Image: H6b8sU4l.jpg][Image: n1w5iOAl.jpg][Image: mi16KY5l.jpg][Image: VBnpPY4l.jpg]

Something else you could try is a fan duct, I personally run the Hero Me duct, I never tried printing TPU before that so maybe that cuts down on the stringing?
[-] The following 1 user Likes daveefordays's post:
  • UrbanJungle1966
I should look into drying my filament. My storage is incorrect as well. I keep it just in a plastic bag.

Thanks for the feedback. At least I am on the right track. I'll try a solid print and then dry the filament in the over to see the difference.

Thanks Smile
(11-06-2020, 04:15 AM)UrbanJungle1966 Wrote: I should look into drying my filament. My storage is incorrect as well. I keep it just in a plastic bag.

Thanks for the feedback. At least I am on the right track. I'll try a solid print and then dry the filament in the over to see the difference.

Thanks Smile

Be careful with your drying, I would recommend 40-50C for 3 hours as a start, be careful not to go over 50C though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes daveefordays's post:
  • UrbanJungle1966
This is a little bit better.

I turned the nozzle temp down to 210 with 100% fill.

Next print I need to do I'll spend the time and dry out the filament.

(11-06-2020, 09:37 PM)UrbanJungle1966 Wrote: This is a little bit better.

I turned the nozzle temp down to 210 with 100% fill.

Next print I need to do I'll spend the time and dry out the filament.

Getting there, drying will make a big difference.

Upping your retraction distance can help sometimes too
This is the latest. It is a 1mm thick cap which imho turned out okish.

I have to say I love my 3D printer. It just opens so many door and saves so much money. This is a $25 TrueRC AXII long antenna. Fixed for a few cents Smile