Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Improve Your ABS and ASA Prints With Acetone Smoothing
Courtesy of Prusa Research...

Good tips. But it is almost more toxic than resin. Might as well go with resin.

Just a side question, what is the purpose of ABS. It is harder to print, toxic, cost more and has more shrinkage than PLA. What is the advantages?
Yeah, none of this is useful for me because printing ABS or ASA is a out of the question due to no enclosure and no suitable ventilated area, just like is needed with resin printing.

I never saw such a procedure used before so I wondered if others had.
(06-26-2020, 12:23 AM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: Yeah, none of this is useful for me because printing ABS or ASA is a out of the question due to no enclosure and no suitable ventilated area, just like is needed with resin printing.

I never saw such a procedure used before so I wondered if others had.

Vapour smoothing is pretty common in the more advanced 3d printing era. I first tried it about 6 years ago when I was printing ABS with the XYZ Davinci V1.0, back then PLA wasn't a common material and ABS was to go to, and it was harder to print than ABS is now....

I agree you need to print in an enclosure for these materials (a banggood rep and I had an argument about this), even if you get it to adhere to the bed without an enclosure I've had parts crack apart mid print due to the shrinkage forces. I found to print ABS reliably I had to have the enclosure temp around 40C....

Aside from this. ABS is a slightly higher temp filament, so it won't sag when used in the sun and it's slightly stronger and stiffer. It's also a more stable material and won't break down over time (not biodegradable). Vapour smoothing if done right with glass and paper towels can come out amazing too. I haven't been able to find a picture again but I once saw a guy did a polygonised panther in black abs and vapour smoothed it and the thing looked like it was a ceramic desk piece bought from a homewares shop... was amazing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes daveefordays's post:
  • bat

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An novel alternative way to create coloured prints SnowLeopardFPV 2 448 11-13-2020, 11:51 AM
Last Post: voodoo614