Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News New Prusa PC Blend Filament
Prusa has a new in-house manufactured filament called PC Blend (PolyCarbonate). It's a bit pricey but it looks interesting. One downside is that it produces some odours while printing, so it might not be suitable for me to use because of where my printer is located, but maybe someone wants to give it a try and see how it performs. You can see it being discussed in Prusa's live stream yesterday --> HERE.
(05-21-2020, 11:37 AM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: Prusa has a new in-house manufactured filament called PC Blend (PolyCarbonate). It's a bit pricey but it looks interesting. One downside is that it produces some odours while printing, so it might not be suitable for me to use because of where my printer is located, but maybe someone wants to give it a try and see how it performs. You can see it being discussed in Prusa's live stream yesterday --> HERE.

Very interesting, thanks for the share mate!

Previously PC is hard to print on entry level printers (even the prusa) due to traditional PC needing temperatures of 300C to print well (I know you can print it at 270, but it's never as strong). I'd be very interested in seeing what they blended it with, the strength tests show it should be somewhat flexible like PETG but still have a tensile yield of close to that of PLA.

If someone REALLY wanted a half decent 3D printed drone propellor this would be the route to take, since PC is the material used for many of the more durable props as it is anyway.

Are you going to consider trying some @SnowLeopardFPV ? I'm guessing an enclosure would be a good idea for both thermal expansion and fumes.
No, I don't think I'll be trying any TBH and I don't really have the space to put my printer in an enclosure so I think I'll just stick to printing with PLA, PETG, and TPU. I also don't really do a whole lot of printing. Maybe once or twice a month for practical DIY stuff or for parts to repair something which is broken, as and when needed.

I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone has the appetite to try some and give some feedback if they do so.
(06-04-2020, 10:25 AM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: No, I don't think I'll be trying any TBH and I don't really have the space to put my printer in an enclosure so I think I'll just stick to printing with PLA, PETG, and TPU. I also don't really do a whole lot of printing. Maybe once or twice a month for practical DIY stuff or for parts to repair something which is broken, as and when needed.

I thought I'd put it out there in case anyone has the appetite to try some and give some feedback if they do so.

I'm sure I'll try it eventually, little bit out of my budget atm haha, we only recently stocked up on filament, have 20kg of black and white pla alone lol... Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Quest For The Perfect Silk Green Filament. AvCDVz75LRFwd 5 392 05-19-2020, 09:34 PM
Last Post: daveefordays
  Looking for a good brand of PVA/Other Water Soluble Filament AvCDVz75LRFwd 5 340 04-16-2020, 04:01 AM
Last Post: daveefordays
  What's your favorite brand of filament and why? AvCDVz75LRFwd 12 751 04-09-2020, 01:14 AM
Last Post: AvCDVz75LRFwd