Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Prusa MINI - Firmware Warranty "Appendix" Seal
I was looking for something else when I stumbled across this following article regarding a specific "warranty seal" design on the Buddy control boards that are used in the Prusa MINI so I thought I'd share the information here. I have to say that I've never seen such a design before but it's quite ingenious.

The "Appendix" seal that is built into the boards prevents you flashing the onboard MCU with non approved firmware unless you first break that part out of the board, and in doing so you then also void any warranty on the board. So rather than completely locking people out from flashing their own custom firmware, it gives people the ability to tinker if they want to in return for forfeiting the warranty. It's such a simple but clever design. Details are at the link below for anyone interested.

https://hackaday.com/2019/12/16/prusa-da...st-printer

[Image: prusafirmware_feat.jpg]
I don't quite right the entire design, but it looks pretty ingenious.
(04-23-2020, 10:00 AM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: I was looking for something else when I stumbled across this following article regarding a specific "warranty seal" design on the Buddy control boards that are used in the Prusa MINI so I thought I'd share the information here. I have to say that I've never seen such a design before but it's quite ingenious.

The "Appendix" seal that is built into the boards prevents you flashing the onboard MCU with non approved firmware unless you first break that part out of the board, and in doing so you then also void any warranty on the board. So rather than completely locking people out from flashing their own custom firmware, it gives people the ability to tinker if they want to in return for forfeiting the warranty. It's such a simple but clever design. Details are at the link below for anyone interested.

https://hackaday.com/2019/12/16/prusa-da...st-printer

[Image: prusafirmware_feat.jpg]

This reminds me of Samsungs Knox feature, ableit much more friendly. 

Samsung doesn't stop you from putting custom software on their devices, but if you do it breaks the knox security and it trips a literal fuse inside the phone thats irreversible.

Somehow it's a security measure as well, honestly not sure how it actually works.

That's actually a cool idea though, honestly these boards are so cheap if i wanted to do that i'd get a SKR or some upgrade board and put that in first, technically not voiding the warranty..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  News New Prusa 3D Printers - i3 MK3S+ and Mini+ SnowLeopardFPV 4 268 12-01-2020, 09:15 PM
Last Post: daveefordays
  Prusa Mk3S Clone daveefordays 2 289 09-03-2020, 09:36 PM
  Prusa i3 - New v3.9.0 Firmware Update SnowLeopardFPV 3 581 06-04-2020, 11:04 AM