Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resin clean up...Methylated spirits vs isopropyl alcohol
Hi guys,

I notice the USA videos always use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean up their resin prints, and have heard that Methylated Spirits is the Aussie equivalent. Has anyone tries Metho or better yet, tried both and can comment whether both work equally well?
Cheers
Chris
(02-21-2021, 08:19 AM)ChrisH Wrote: Hi guys,

I notice the USA videos always use Isopropyl Alcohol to clean up their resin prints, and have heard that Methylated Spirits is the Aussie equivalent. Has anyone tries Metho or better yet, tried both and can comment whether both work equally well?
Cheers
Chris

Hi Chris,

I use methylated spirits for mine, they have similar base materials... But the main reason we arent able to buy IPA in large quantities here (over 100ml) is due to some laws that restrict alcohol sales because people here used to buy IPA to drink....

Methylated spirits is basically IPA with an agent that makes you sick if you drink it and also tastes really bad (the methylated part of the name). It doesn't change the effectiveness of it for cleaning prints though.

Although, I have found that dishwashing liquid (the good morning fresh stuff) can be as good or better at removing resin residue from my hands, I just don't use it for prints because of the bubbles in my wash and cure unit being a problem and IPA works well for other stuff I clean, and works great as a bath to remove oils from prints before I paint them!