Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stringing problem
Hey there guys!
Well, everything was fun until this strings start to appear. Ive tried enabling retraction (working with PLA), and seems to be better, but persist.
It was okay before, suddenly I'm getting this annoyances

https://i.postimg.cc/vTNwCdZk/IMG-202004...054934.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Edit: Ender 3
[-] The following 1 user Likes CM17X's post:
  • daveefordays
(04-26-2020, 04:06 AM)CM17X Wrote: Hey there guys!
Well, everything was fun until this strings start to appear. Ive tried enabling retraction (working with PLA), and seems to be better, but persist.
It was okay before, suddenly I'm getting this annoyances

https://i.postimg.cc/vTNwCdZk/IMG-202004...054934.jpg

Thanks for your help.
Edit:  Ender 3

Ok, whats your retraction distance? Should be about 6mm @35-45mm/s for PLA, and make sure you have "Retract on Layer Change" enabled as it looks like your strings are mostly between 2 points which could be where the layer change happens.
I guess another question is are you using the same filament that wasn't stringing previously with the same profile, and how are you storing your filament? As well as other symptoms like crackling and blobbing, stinging can also be one of the symptoms of moisture in the filament, so drying out the PLA may be another solution.

I store my spools in vacuum sealed bags between prints along with silica gel packs sealed inside the bags, but even by doing that they will eventually need drying out at some point because just sitting on the spool holder during a print will cause them to ingest some moisture, unless you feed spools from a "dry box" but that requires quite a bit of extra space which unfortunately I don't have.
Hi, thanks for the help mate.
My retraction distance is 5mm at 45mm/s, I never messed around with retraction except by the time I've printed with TPU, and the values were the same now that I switch between both profiles (really, it kills me that values seems to override over any profile, not sure what I'm doing wrong here). I'll try 6 at 50 then. About retraction on every layer, it was unchecked. Before I asked here I went online and get some notes, applying them seemed to get rid off stringing at bed level, but at the end, when it prints the higher ends, string persisted.

I'll go with it next time. By the way, which is a good print (small) for testing this problem?

@snow, yes, I'm using the same filament that before, and not sure about the profile because I'm really not getting when the profile is actually saved, I remember changing it for TPU Print, even named it TPU, and when I switched to Standard quailty I swear the values were carried on, as, that's why I've unchecked the Retraction box because I never messed around with that for PLA.
The way I store my filaments is the worst, they are just sitting down my table, on the floor, and we have an humidity of 87%. We use special silica bags in the closet because even our clothes can get some moisture, but now that you talk about it, I'm checking and there are no bags anymore, it seems like the problem with humidity and clothes is low in this house.
Whats the easiest way to dry them out? I'm asking for the easy way just because I don't have a lot of tools, not because I'm lazy Tongue
(04-26-2020, 10:46 AM)CM17X Wrote: Hi, thanks for the help mate.
My retraction distance is 5mm at 45mm/s, I never messed around with retraction except by the time I've printed with TPU, and the values were the same now that I switch between both profiles (really, it kills me that values seems to override over any profile, not sure what I'm doing wrong here). I'll try 6 at 50 then. About retraction on every layer, it was unchecked. Before I asked here I went online and get some notes, applying them seemed to get rid off stringing at bed level, but at the end, when it prints the higher ends, string persisted.

I'll go with it next time. By the way, which is a good print (small) for testing this problem?

@snow, yes, I'm using the same filament that before, and not sure about the profile because I'm really not getting when the profile is actually saved, I remember changing it for TPU Print, even named it TPU, and when I switched to Standard quailty I swear the values were carried on, as, that's why I've unchecked the Retraction box because I never messed around with that for PLA.
The way I store my filaments is the worst, they are just sitting down my table, on the floor, and we have an humidity of 87%. We use special silica bags in the closet because even our clothes can get some moisture, but now that you talk about it, I'm checking and there are no bags anymore, it seems like the problem with humidity and clothes is low in this house.
Whats the easiest way to dry them out? I'm asking for the easy way just because I don't have a lot of tools, not because I'm lazy Tongue

Retract at layer change and the slightly higher retraction distance will probably do the trick.
This is a good test, pretty simple and you can probably scale it down a bit in CURA if you want.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2080224

A
s far as profiles are concerned, you're not the only one and this is my big caveat with CURA, the whole profile system is messed up. Technically you can duplicate your profile and have one for TPU and one for PLA and then switch between, but its super frustrating and wants to overwrite changes on one profile to another etc....
(04-26-2020, 10:46 AM)CM17X Wrote: Whats the easiest way to dry them out? I'm asking for the easy way just because I don't have a lot of tools, not because I'm lazy Tongue

Rather than repeating what is already out there, just see the following link. Method #2 is effectively free Smile 

https://all3dp.com/2/how-to-dry-filament-pla-abs-and-nylon
(04-26-2020, 11:59 PM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: Rather than repeating what is already out there, just see the following link. Method #2 is effectively free Smile 

I prefer the food dehydrator method as I've seen a fiew pictures of filament pools on oven trays lol.

Dehudrators can be had for $30 off of ebay and you just cut the shelves out of 2/3rd's of the racks and you can fit filament spools in there, you can even setup the spools so you print directly from the dehydrator... I did this with my ender 3 for a while.
(04-27-2020, 02:05 AM)daveefordays Wrote: I prefer the food dehydrator method as I've seen a fiew pictures of filament pools on oven trays lol.

Yeah, some people probably think that just whacking the oven heat up to 220C will speed up the drying out process for a spool of PLA [Image: rofl.png]
(04-26-2020, 09:35 PM)daveefordays Wrote: Retract at layer change and the slightly higher retraction distance will probably do the trick.
This is a good test, pretty simple and you can probably scale it down a bit in CURA if you want.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2080224

A
s far as profiles are concerned, you're not the only one and this is my big caveat with CURA, the whole profile system is messed up. Technically you can duplicate your profile and have one for TPU and one for PLA and then switch between, but its super frustrating and wants to overwrite changes on one profile to another etc....

I thougth i was stupid or something, thanks for clarifying the things about CURA profiles.
I've tried the test, it seems like with my current settings the result is better, but the annoying strngs keep appearing. Here is the picture of the settings i've used for this test and the result. Should i move up with the retraction distance or what other values? I think the speed is as good as i can get without damaging the filament, but who i am to know that? Thanks for your help!

Settings: 

[Image: 1-Retract.jpg][Image: 2-Retract.jpg]

Result:

[Image: IMG-20200427-073648473.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20200427-073626225.jpg]
(04-26-2020, 11:59 PM)SnowLeopardFPV Wrote: Rather than repeating what is already out there, just see the following link. Method #2 is effectively free Smile 

Hahaha, well, that's a nice solution. We don't have ovens here, in fact, not many houses have it, is just not wide spread, but i can try something. Thank you!
(04-27-2020, 12:40 PM)CM17X Wrote: I thougth i was stupid or something, thanks for clarifying the things about CURA profiles.
I've tried the test, it seems like with my current settings the result is better, but the annoying strngs keep appearing. Here is the picture of the settings i've used for this test and the result. Should i move up with the retraction distance or what other values? I think the speed is as good as i can get without damaging the filament, but who i am to know that? Thanks for your help!

Honestly with a bowden extruder I wouldn't expect too much better. I think if you raised the maximum no of retractions and the minimum extrusion distance window you might get a bit of improvement, but it wont be practical. You see some pictures of enders doing perfect tests like that but they have all sorts of issues when they actually print, I'd be happy with that for now, I reckon if you printed a benchy with those settings it'd look pretty sweet.