Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's your favorite brand of filament and why?
Hey just wanted to know what your guy's favorite filament brands are and why, maybe even include a favorite color if you have one.

My favorite brand of Filament is Superfila, it's the first filament I ever bought and it also just so happens to be the most reliable brand I've ever tried.
My favorite color is Orange, but I've used White the most.

I've found it to be a great filament bed adhesion is fantastic, I swear this stuff could stick to a glass bed 10MM away, I don't know how it does it, but it's great when I just want to load up my printer and just print. It's also stronger than other filaments I've used as far as PLA goes.

Recently got a few SUNLU spools and I'm actually surprised with how well they're working, I've heard such bad things about them, but I think they're going to end up being my #2 or maybe even #1 at some point, atleast if the quality and reliability continues the way it has been.

So yeah, what's your favorite filament brand, why and do you have a favorite color of theirs?
(04-06-2020, 08:01 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: Hey just wanted to know what your guy's favorite filament brands are and why, maybe even include a favorite color if you have one.

My favorite brand of Filament is Superfila, it's the first filament I ever bought and it also just so happens to be the most reliable brand I've ever tried.
My favorite color is Orange, but I've used White the most.

I've found it to be a great filament bed adhesion is fantastic, I swear this stuff could stick to a glass bed 10MM away, I don't know how it does it, but it's great when I just want to load up my printer and just print. It's also stronger than other filaments I've used as far as PLA goes.

Recently got a few SUNLU spools and I'm actually surprised with how well they're working, I've heard such bad things about them, but I think they're going to end up being my #2 or maybe even #1 at some point, atleast if the quality and reliability continues the way it has been.

So yeah, what's your favorite filament brand, why and do you have a favorite color of theirs?

Hey, thanks for starting this discussion.

I actually haven't tried Superfila, I have Esun, Hobbyking and Sunlu mostly, I also have Sainsmart TPU.

Esun - This filament is pretty good really, it just works well and gets the job done, finished parts are strong and they have a big range.

Hobbyking - This filament is super cheap, just as strong as Esun and in my experience prints very well, only downfall is sometimes the colours aren't as vibrant as one would want.

Sunlu - I got this filament 2nd hand with another printer, and I've had mixed results. I've been printing with the "transparent" one lately and it's come out actually quite nice and I've been really happy with it, but there is a roll of light blue that is basically useless. When printed I can break solid parts with my fingers and it's not even delamination, the material is just super pourous. 

Sainsmart - These guys have TPU DOWN, they got it right. I would not use any other TPU, I have Esun and Sunlu TPU as well and Hands down the Sainsmart is just sooooo goood.

My favourite filament to date: 
PLA - Hobbyking Transparent Blue
TPU - Sainsmart Transparent Green
(04-06-2020, 09:34 PM)daveefordays Wrote: Hey, thanks for starting this discussion.

I actually haven't tried Superfila, I have Esun, Hobbyking and Sunlu mostly, I also have Sainsmart TPU.

Esun - This filament is pretty good really, it just works well and gets the job done, finished parts are strong and they have a big range.

Hobbyking - This filament is super cheap, just as strong as Esun and in my experience prints very well, only downfall is sometimes the colours aren't as vibrant as one would want.

Sunlu - I got this filament 2nd hand with another printer, and I've had mixed results. I've been printing with the "transparent" one lately and it's come out actually quite nice and I've been really happy with it, but there is a roll of light blue that is basically useless. When printed I can break solid parts with my fingers and it's not even delamination, the material is just super pourous. 

Sainsmart - These guys have TPU DOWN, they got it right. I would not use any other TPU, I have Esun and Sunlu TPU as well and Hands down the Sainsmart is just sooooo goood.

My favourite filament to date: 
PLA - Hobbyking Transparent Blue
TPU - Sainsmart Transparent Green

I have an Amazon list with a bunch of filaments I want to try out and I've heard good things about Esun so I wanted to give them a shot.

Looking on Amazon Hobbyking is pretty pricey it's like $18 - $26 per spool with like $8.66 shipping making it actually between $26 and $34 which is too expensive for my blood especially for a "cheap" filament. They probably have a harder time shipping to the U.S.

I'll absolutely try that Saintsmart TPU, I have one spool of TPU that printed alright on my Monoprice Select Mini, but I'm waiting for my Tenlog Hands 2 to get here before I do any real prints on anything other than PLA.

Sunlu has given me mixed results too, since I upgraded to a glass bed the prints have been fantastic, but before than it was the worst, probably because I didn't have the bed properly level, but other filaments printed fine with minimal issues, so I don't know what's up with that, but that doesn't matter so long as they continue to deliver good results. I intend on buying more Sunlu in the future, they have a good selection of colors and such and if the performance is the same as what I've been getting recently I'll be adding them to my go-to filaments list.
(04-06-2020, 09:53 PM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I have an Amazon list with a bunch of filaments I want to try out and I've heard good things about Esun so I wanted to give them a shot.

Looking on Amazon Hobbyking is pretty pricey it's like $18 - $26 per spool with like $8.66 shipping making it actually between $26 and $34 which is too expensive for my blood especially for a "cheap" filament. They probably have a harder time shipping to the U.S.

I'll absolutely try that Saintsmart TPU, I have one spool of TPU that printed alright on my Monoprice Select Mini, but I'm waiting for my Tenlog Hands 2 to get here before I do any real prints on anything other than PLA.

Sunlu has given me mixed results too, since I upgraded to a glass bed the prints have been fantastic, but before than it was the worst, probably because I didn't have the bed properly level, but other filaments printed fine with minimal issues, so I don't know what's up with that, but that doesn't matter so long as they continue to deliver good results. I intend on buying more Sunlu in the future, they have a good selection of colors and such and if the performance is the same as what I've been getting recently I'll be adding them to my go-to filaments list.

Yeah okay exciting Big Grin

Ok so hobbyking is not "normally" cheap, you have to buy it direct from hobbyking and they almost ALWAYS have specials on some of their filament. I have some 1kg spools that I picked up ranging from $12-18AUD which is $7-11USD.....

I've just started printing TPU on my hands 2 and I've had trouble with the extruders not being well setup for it, It feeds out the side of the gears, but I'm working on a small part you can print from PLA and install to keep it all in line so that should be a quick and easy mod, other than that the thing prints TPU amazing, and actually for some reason extruder 1 prints TPU just fine but extruder 2 has this issue. Extruder 2 has the height adjustment for calibrating the nozzle heights so I'm wondering if it's something they have overlooked when designing their mechnism. Regardless we can fix it super easy.

I think I'll get more sunlu. I've been looking for a bulk supplier in china to rebrand as my own filament for my business and sunlu gave me the best prices but I cancelled on them because I was worried, but if I can get consistent quality from new rolls from them i'll give it a shot. (Minimum order is 300kg so quite an investment)
(04-06-2020, 10:03 PM)daveefordays Wrote: Yeah okay exciting Big Grin

Ok so hobbyking is not "normally" cheap, you have to buy it direct from hobbyking and they almost ALWAYS have specials on some of their filament. I have some 1kg spools that I picked up ranging from $12-18AUD which is $7-11USD.....

I've just started printing TPU on my hands 2 and I've had trouble with the extruders not being well setup for it, It feeds out the side of the gears, but I'm working on a small part you can print from PLA and install to keep it all in line so that should be a quick and easy mod, other than that the thing prints TPU amazing, and actually for some reason extruder 1 prints TPU just fine but extruder 2 has this issue. Extruder 2 has the height adjustment for calibrating the nozzle heights so I'm wondering if it's something they have overlooked when designing their mechnism. Regardless we can fix it super easy.

I think I'll get more sunlu. I've been looking for a bulk supplier in china to rebrand as my own filament for my business and sunlu gave me the best prices but I cancelled on them because I was worried, but if I can get consistent quality from new rolls from them i'll give it a shot. (Minimum order is 300kg so quite an investment)

I'll absolutely check out buying directly from Hobbyking $7 - $11 for 1KG is ridiculously cheap! I'll have to give them a look.

I imagine the adjustment nut is the problem, let me know when you found a print that works, I'd love to add it to mine when you figure it out!

I suppose worst case scenario you could always just print TPU out of nozzle #1, I don't know of any specific reason why you'd need TPU to be in Nozzle #2 specifically, even for a multi-material print. So maybe they didn't overlook it maybe they just figured that you probably wouldn't need to do a Multi-flexible print, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'd absolutely buy a few more spools to see if the stuff brand new would work better and more consistently.
Here's my question, what's the advantage of having your own branded filament? Is it just to offer a local supplier?
If Sunlu already ships to AU than couldn't you just use Sunlu, what's the reason to get your own filament brand for your business?
Also how much control do you have over the process? like do you have to go with a filament Sunlu already has on offer or can you ask them to make you a very specific color filament or one with very specific properties? How much say do you have? Very interested.
(04-06-2020, 10:35 PM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I'll absolutely check out buying directly from Hobbyking $7 - $11 for 1KG is ridiculously cheap! I'll have to give them a look.

I imagine the adjustment nut is the problem, let me know when you found a print that works, I'd love to add it to mine when you figure it out!

I suppose worst case scenario you could always just print TPU out of nozzle #1, I don't know of any specific reason why you'd need TPU to be in Nozzle #2 specifically, even for a multi-material print. So maybe they didn't overlook it maybe they just figured that you probably wouldn't need to do a Multi-flexible print, if that makes sense.

Yeah, I'd absolutely buy a few more spools to see if the stuff brand new would work better and more consistently.
Here's my question, what's the advantage of having your own branded filament? Is it just to offer a local supplier?
If Sunlu already ships to AU than couldn't you just use Sunlu, what's the reason to get your own filament brand for your business?
Also how much control do you have over the process? like do you have to go with a filament Sunlu already has on offer or can you ask them to make you a very specific color filament or one with very specific properties? How much say do you have? Very interested.

Yeah, their stock has been low for AU warehouse lately, but I'm not sure what their US warehouse is like.

I think that may be the case, I was trying to print TPU coasters with a Black base and white text on top, I really could use any printer and set it to pause at the colour change and just change the filament that way but I wanted to try it out on the hands 2. It printed the black base perfect every time but the white would be under extruded. On removing the filament from the machine the white was all twisted up from being pushed out of the extruder gear instead of into the nozzle.

There's a few reasons for my own brand of filament, firstly I have a business with our own branding and if I have good quality prints going out the door then people will trust what I use and it also helps with price competition and reviews. If I sold Sunlu filament people would look up reviews and I wouldnt sell so much, but if I had my own quality checks of each roll and branded it as my own then I would get to build up my own name for filament and maybe eventually (if I sell enough) tender to get entire runs done for myself.
Colours is the other big thing, I can get custom colours made that nobody else has and have my own colour set...

Also re-selling a brand your margins are minimal, but going back to supplier you can get a little bit of margin back because the name brand isnt taking their chunk of profit out, basically deleting another middle man.

As I have already said, I can get custom colours done, mixed to my choice and custom blends. Problem with this is I have to order a LOT, like 300kg per colour at $5-10USD per kg. Still up in the air until I find a supplier I really like but its definitely something I'm seriously considering.
(04-06-2020, 10:44 PM)daveefordays Wrote: Yeah, their stock has been low for AU warehouse lately, but I'm not sure what their US warehouse is like.

I think that may be the case, I was trying to print TPU coasters with a Black base and white text on top, I really could use any printer and set it to pause at the colour change and just change the filament that way but I wanted to try it out on the hands 2. It printed the black base perfect every time but the white would be under extruded. On removing the filament from the machine the white was all twisted up from being pushed out of the extruder gear instead of into the nozzle.

There's a few reasons for my own brand of filament, firstly I have a business with our own branding and if I have good quality prints going out the door then people will trust what I use and it also helps with price competition and reviews. If I sold Sunlu filament people would look up reviews and I wouldnt sell so much, but if I had my own quality checks of each roll and branded it as my own then I would get to build up my own name for filament and maybe eventually (if I sell enough) tender to get entire runs done for myself.
Colours is the other big thing, I can get custom colours made that nobody else has and have my own colour set...

Also re-selling a brand your margins are minimal, but going back to supplier you can get a little bit of margin back because the name brand isnt taking their chunk of profit out, basically deleting another middle man.

As I have already said, I can get custom colours done, mixed to my choice and custom blends. Problem with this is I have to order a LOT, like 300kg per colour at $5-10USD per kg. Still up in the air until I find a supplier I really like but its definitely something I'm seriously considering.

I don't think I ever heard of a multi-color TPU print before, the only functional purpose I could think for it would be like, having different flexible materials so that different parts of the print would be more flexible than others. It'll still be nice when you get it fixed! Let me know how that goes.

That makes sense, I didn't know you actually sold filament, I thought you just did the 3D printing part.
I imagine you can get samples of the filament before committing right? cause once it's done it's done. So I'd imagine you could get samples sent out before you actually ordered and could make adjustments until it was just right.

Yikes $5-10/KG * 300KG that's $1,500 - $3,000 and to think I was thinking of doing that just to get some custom colors made.
I wouldn't be against starting some sort of 3D printing business or something along those lines, but starting a business in the U.S is a pain and I'm not sure I'd want to go through all the legal red tape, I wish I could just do a test run without committing first, lol.

I imagine now would be a pretty bad time to start a business as well since the whole COVID-19 thing. Might look into it later though, might be fun.

There's lots of filament colors I can think of that don't exist or only exist with brands I'm not sure about.
If you need any color ideas let me know I could shoot a few at you.
(04-06-2020, 10:59 PM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: I don't think I ever heard of a multi-color TPU print before, the only functional purpose I could think for it would be like, having different flexible materials so that different parts of the print would be more flexible than others. It'll still be nice when you get it fixed! Let me know how that goes.

That makes sense, I didn't know you actually sold filament, I thought you just did the 3D printing part.
I imagine you can get samples of the filament before committing right? cause once it's done it's done. So I'd imagine you could get samples sent out before you actually ordered and could make adjustments until it was just right.

Yikes $5-10/KG * 300KG that's $1,500 - $3,000 and to think I was thinking of doing that just to get some custom colors made.
I wouldn't be against starting some sort of 3D printing business or something along those lines, but starting a business in the U.S is a pain and I'm not sure I'd want to go through all the legal red tape, I wish I could just do a test run without committing first, lol.

I imagine now would be a pretty bad time to start a business as well since the whole COVID-19 thing. Might look into it later though, might be fun.

There's lots of filament colors I can think of that don't exist or only exist with brands I'm not sure about.
If you need any color ideas let me know I could shoot a few at you.

There are some uses, like for TPU mounts on drones some people have done stripey designs etc.

I do plan on selling filament and printers, it just widens my market reach to everyone interested in 3D printing and not just the people who don't have printers.
Yeah it's a big investment. Even to order a box of 48 rolls of TPU from Sainsmart is $1200US

Yes and no for a bad time to start, with masks and stuff in demand it's a good time to get recognized and we are in talks with local health authorities about producing stuff for them.

Sounds good, it'll be 6 months before I can order anyway at the current rate...
(04-06-2020, 11:11 PM)daveefordays Wrote: There are some uses, like for TPU mounts on drones some people have done stripey designs etc.

I do plan on selling filament and printers, it just widens my market reach to everyone interested in 3D printing and not just the people who don't have printers.
Yeah it's a big investment. Even to order a box of 48 rolls of TPU from Sainsmart is $1200US

Yes and no for a bad time to start, with masks and stuff in demand it's a good time to get recognized and we are in talks with local health authorities about producing stuff for them.

Sounds good, it'll be 6 months before I can order anyway at the current rate...

That makes sense, actually reminds me, I have seen multicolored TPU prints before, like that flexible octopus, I've seen multicolored versions of that.

You plan on going into printers as well? Might I ask what your plans for that would be? Would it be a unique printer design or have unique features or would is just be a standard printer based on open source layouts? I'd be interested in the former, but the latter feels very saturated as it is, so I'd really be interested to hear what your plans for branching into the printer space would be.

Didn't even think about possibly doing work for medical teams, I'm glad you're working with them, about time 3D printing got some mainstream attention and doing some great things for a great cause while we're at it. Smile
(04-07-2020, 12:55 AM)AvCDVz75LRFwd Wrote: That makes sense, actually reminds me, I have seen multicolored TPU prints before, like that flexible octopus, I've seen multicolored versions of that.

You plan on going into printers as well? Might I ask what your plans for that would be? Would it be a unique printer design or have unique features or would is just be a standard printer based on open source layouts? I'd be interested in the former, but the latter feels very saturated as it is, so I'd really be interested to hear what your plans for branching into the printer space would be.

Didn't even think about possibly doing work for medical teams, I'm glad you're working with them, about time 3D printing got some mainstream attention and doing some great things for a great cause while we're at it. Smile

The octopus is normally made out of PLA and has hinge joints unless you're thinking of a different one, but yes.

I would just be a re-seller of say Creality or Artillery Printers, no rebranding.
Although, in the near future I will be doing a 3D printer scratch build made up of my own selection of parts, at first this kit will be available through banggood but I may start re-selling these as well Big Grin

Google search COVID 19 3D printing, there is a looot going on in the space!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  News New Prusa PC Blend Filament SnowLeopardFPV 3 733 06-04-2020, 11:03 AM
Last Post: daveefordays
  The Quest For The Perfect Silk Green Filament. AvCDVz75LRFwd 5 1,159 05-19-2020, 09:34 PM
  Looking for a good brand of PVA/Other Water Soluble Filament AvCDVz75LRFwd 5 782 04-16-2020, 04:01 AM